Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Daughter's Sweater: Part II





I am officially more than half completed with the front - and since the back and sleeves are already completed, as well, I am so close to finishing, I can taste it. Then it's time to wash, block, and seam.


I am actually looking forward to seaming everything together. I'm not a good seamer, I've never used kitchener stitch, or grafting, or mattress stitch, or anything other than a clumsy backstitch. And I am really looking forward to making this one nice and neat and perfect.

I traded out the frost flowers design for a very simple mesh lattice lace pattern - and I'm really happy I did. It made the knitting so much smoother and more meditative, and I think the mesh panels look rather pretty. They remind me of wicker or rattan or something vaguely Japanese. The frost flowers pattern is beautiful, but it is 34 stitches wide, 32 rows long, no repeats and no "free" rows of just knit or purl. So quite challenging to do for someone with wandering attention and interruptions. I'm very glad I changed the pattern!

Once this piece is off the needles I can start swatching for MY sweater - the twisted front short sleeve top, #5 from Vogue Knitting Summer 2005. I've chosen Berocco Cotton Twist in the color Sensei, a luscious saffrony-coppery shade that will be lovely with black, brown, khaki and denim (since that's all I wear, apparently). I think I'll lengthen the sleeves a bit, maybe even make them long sleeves, if I can get the tapering ok. But at least elbow length, I think.

Also in the queue are my mother in law's Cinzia sweater from Knitty.com
and some baby things since both my husband's nephews are expecting babies. One in June, one in September. What fun to knit little sweaters and tiny hats, and perhaps a blankie or two. In fact, I just orderd some Shine from KnitPicks for some baby things, as well as some sock yarn to whip up a couple of little pullover sweaters. Also on order from Elann are two shades of Endless Summer Collection Luna (DK weight) in Zen Red and Silken Damask for the Daisy sweater from Knitty.com. Hope we get at least one girl!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Mortgage Rates