Monday, November 06, 2006

Slow knitting and stash organization

I'm still toodling away on my MIL's Cinxia from Knitty - needing to do some sleeves, but just nothappy with how my slip stitch pattern is working ou in the round. I'll need to try it again from the beginning and see if that makes a difference...somehow the little purl bumps aren't lining up nicely and giving me the lovely staggered textural action they did on the hem of the sweater. Oh well.

That said, I have organized my stash, with the aid of Trillian's Yarn Stash Spreadsheet. It's an excel file available on her blog - look on the right hand sidebar. She is brilliant - she's got a page for yarn stash listing (with all the pertinent info), a page for future projects (including recommended yarn and space for your intended subs), and a conversion page, so you can go from ounces to grams, meters to yards and back again. Brilliant, I tell you!

I got *almost* all my yarn cataloged in there - sock yarns haven't been added yet, but I don't have that many of them. So far I'm up to 40,785.89 yards of yarn. Should be plenty for a while, right? And I've got only a few dozen projects listed. I'd really like to go back through the last few years of the knitting mags I've accumulated, plus all my books and downloaded patterns and get them in there. Each day I bring another short stack of book and magazines to the gallery, and duifully flag the designs that intrigue me, enter the info into the spreadsheet and so on. The one final step (for me) would be to figure out how to link the Projects page to the Stash page, so I could perform a cross sort function and have the results delivered to me - which designs I've noted could possibly be worked up in the yarns I've got on hand, given tension and quantity constraints? It's been far too long since I've done spreadsheet stuff, and I'm not certain I could noodle it out at this late date, but it would be a neat option.

I think I'll also create a fourth page to catalog my needles by material, size and length too. While plowing through the skeins and balls tucked into a rolling cart, I found 3 brand new Addi Turbo needles, size 2, 40" long. Magic Loop? Socks on Two Circulars? Who knows what I was thinking. I don't even knit socks.

Yet.

Almost a month ago I entered my sub for the new
Yarn Forward Magazine. The same day, I also ordered the two current booklets in English from Phildar (France). I've been racing to the mail box every day for the last week and a half, hoping to find delicious, sophisicated little parcels from Europe. Nothing yet.

I'm dying to swatch up some Madil Rebus for a sweater for my daughter - it's a soft and gentle merino boucle - picked it up for a song in both a garnet variegated and a sapphire variegated colorway. I'm liking Artful Yarns Cropped Jacket, although I'd lengthen it a little and make the sleeves narrower, perhaps.

So many projects I'd like to do. And so much yarn. And still...

a girl wants MORE!

1 Comments:

Blogger SahmCarter said...

Aletha from Aromaleigh stopping by to say hi and congratulations!

11/11/2006 6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Mortgage Rates