Saturday, March 18, 2006

Sweater for Jeni

Ok - the yarn I chose for my sister in law's sweater arrived two days ago. Southwest Trading Co's Bamboo, in the Intensity colorway. Such a pretty blend of periwinkle, lilac and aqua, and so perfect for her.

I had wanted to do a simple spring/summer sweater she could get lots of wear out of - something that would look good with shorts, jeans, over her running top to pick up the kids from school, with a little skirt for a trip into town or dinner with her hubby. I thought Sally Melville's Body Hugger might be The One. It's a simple little raglan done in a 3x2 rib. Sadly, I've heard not such good reviews about this one...Hard to fit. And since Jeni is 3000 miles away, and about as opposite my body type as a girl could get, I didn't want to risk it.

So now, I'm feverishly searching for a pattern for this wonderful yarn. It's a light worsted, a #3, and SWTC recommends a size 6 needle, which ought to yield 20 sts/32 rows to 4 inches. I'm swatching now on size 7s, because I'm a tight knitter, and I don't like the way it's looking - too loopy. I'll swatch on size 5s next, as my 6s are currently occupied. Not sure what my gauge will end up being...

So, in searching for the right pattern, I've pulled ALL my knitting books and magazines and have been scouring the net for a pattern that sings to me. It's tough going.

But I have discovered some great sites - ever hear of the http://www.sexyknittersclub.com ? I've emailed to join, as they do knit-alongs for all sorts of wonderful, figure conscious knits.

The one troubling aspect of conducting such an in depth search is that there are so many distractions - I've spent 4 hours looking for a pattern, and therefore have neither been working on my own sweater (the left front and most of the back is done - going quickly) OR on swatching to find the proper needle size for the Bamboo yarn, which of course will ultimately determine the proper pattern to noodle around with. It's not so much the World Wide Web, as it is a massive black hole into which one gets sucked.

BUT one of the cool things I found is this:

Your Birthdate: May 16
You're incredibly introverted and introspective. You live inside your head. You spend a lot of alone time meditating and thinking.People see you as withdrawn, and at times they are right.You are caring and deep, but it may be difficult for you to show this side of yourself.
Your strength: Your original approach to thinking
Your weakness: You tend to shy away from others
Your power color: Pale blue
Your power symbol: Wavy line
Your power month: July


Play with it - is it true for you? It is for me.


Mortgage Rates