Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More Tango

It's Wednesday, and still we are immersed in Tango. We've danced on our kitchen floor every evening, and My Pilot told me that he hears tango music in his head and imagines patterns and sequences. I am blown away by his willingness to engage in something so deeply for me.

After considering the discomfort I had working so hard in my ballroom shoes, with their very flexible by extraordinarily thin soles, I ordered a pair of Bloch Boost DRT mesh practice sneakers. They arrived today - gotta LOVE Zappos! Put them on, and they fit so well, and so comfortably. They have a split sole, so one can still achieve complete points and flexions of the foot, with a heel similar to that of an aerobics shoe (cushioning!) and a built up forefoot (more cushioning!!) with a "pivot point" on the ball fo the foot. Eager to try them out, I cued up Haciendose la del Zamora by
Mandragora Tango Orchestra out of Minneapolis and kicked up the volume on the iPod. My Pilot took me in his arms, and we danced in the front of our shop, on the tile floors. A passing family stopped to gather their belongings, and the children, maybe about 5 and 6, stood and watched. While the parents were unimpressed with our style, the little girl really seemed to appreciate it. "Do you see what they're doing? Look, they're dancing! That's so cool!". Children understand the magic of motion, better than we do as adults.

I think that's going to be the biggest challenge for me and My Pilot - learning to trust the motion, and our bodies. Learning to interpret the music from the inside out. Particularly since Tango offers so many opportunities for syncopation, pauses, double, triple or half time. And since it is best improvised, no wrong steps are possible. But you have to trust the motion, let go and follow where it wants to take you.

1 Comments:

Blogger One Planet Yarn And Fiber said...

This is Lisa who was posting to you on the Aromoleigh board. Now you know why I asked you about knitting! Check out our blog and store. Thanks for your help. I am going to order some of the things. It is a bit overwhelming at first so it is great there is a good forum like that!

5/20/2007 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Mortgage Rates