Sunday, March 19, 2006

A New Plan

Well, after spending the entire of my Saturday combing the web for just the right pattern for my sister in law Jeni and still coming up empty handed, I decided to go to plan B.

I just asked her what sort of sweater she wants. I mean, really - while the idea of a lovingly crafted and beautifully made sweater arriving on her doorstep as a surprise in time for her birthday is truly a lovely one, there are practical matters to consider. Such as, what if despite my exquisite good taste and fashion sense, the sweater I choose for her isn't one that really works for her lifestyle, her schedule, her laundry needs, her taste in fashion, or her wardrobe colors? What an immense disappointment! For both of us! With so much time and love and care invested in the creation, and not to mention the yarn costs, how sad to gift her with something that is simply unsuitable. And then, there is the issue of fit - what if I am wrong on her measurements? What if I knit a sweater that is meant to be waist length and fitted, and it fits her like those boxy, oversized 80s sweaters that are so abundant in the super-mega thrift shops around here? I don't think I'd be quite that far off, but it could happen.

So I asked her - the surprise has lost it's edge, but I think the present itself will gain in the thought and consideration areas, not to mention the wearability of the final garment.

Big sigh of relief - now I can continue to work on my own sweater - got the left front and the back complete, starting the right front today, hope to finish it by Monday evening. Then just a quick try on to determine how much I want to lengthen the little sleeves, a quick turn on the needles for said sleeves, and I'll be ready to wash, block and seam. So quickly - my fastest sweater yet!

Go me.


Mortgage Rates